Protecting your profession
The Insights Association is actively engaged in ongoing proactive government affairs advocacy, protecting and promoting marketing research and analytics before legislative, regulatory and judicial officials.
Members receive regular advisories regarding these matters to limit operational risk, lower costs and assist with their own efforts to increase acceptance of research/analytics.
Our Government & Public Affairs team, led by a full-time Washington, DC-based lobbyist, closely monitors emerging technologies and trends, as well as legislative activity on the Federal and state level. We provide expert information and commentary to legislators and regulators on various issues that may potentially impact research business practice. Following are just some issues in which we have communicated our position and opinion.
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Reform
- Decennial Census and the American Community Survey
- International Digital Trade
- Consumer Data Privacy
- Consumer Data Security
- Pharmaceutical Marketing Research with Doctors
- Class Action Lawsuit Reform
- Push Polls
- Respondent Misclassification
Specific recent (2017) examples include:
- The Insights Association secured an amendment to California legislation that would have otherwise banned most research incentive payments from the pharmaceutical industry, protecting blinded pharma research with physicians. This reversed what would have ended pharma research among doctors there, and eliminated a negative nationwide precedent.
- The Insights Association has provided material support for a member company in their court case to confirm the non-applicability of sales tax to custom research. Such a precedent poses a serious financial threat to all marketing research and analytics companies conducting work of this type in states with similar taxing notions.